Home remedies for heartburn have long been used by patients as effective treatment options. They have an abundance of advantages over the more conventional means of treating or preventing heartburn such as medications or surgery. First, home remedies to treat the root cause of the problem which is the weakened lower esophageal sphincter that is supposed to keep the contents of the stomach in the digestive system. These remedies also stimulate the secretion of certain hormones and herbs that are said to strengthen the walls of your stomach.
- One of the most common home remedies for heartburn is chewing gum. Chewing gum constantly will weaken the esophageal muscles as well as your lower esophageal sphincter. This will allow gastric acid to back up into your esophagus and cause you some discomfort. The key to home remedies for heartburn and acid reflux is to chew gum throughout the day and not just when you feel the symptoms of heartburn.
- Another remedy is to use hot water on your tummy or abdomen. This can be done by placing a pot of boiling water on the abdomen or tummy at least for five minutes. The boiling water will in turn relaxes the muscles of your abdomen and thus relieve you of the pain that is associated with heartburn. You can add a little salt to the boiling water as well in order to enhance its effects.
- Another home remedies for heartburn is to follow a healthy Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet consists of vegetables, cereals, legumes, fruits, whole grains and fish. Consuming a healthy diet rich in these foods will help alleviate the symptoms associated with reflux. Consuming a lot of citrus fruits especially those that contain nitrates helps to reduce acid reflux symptoms. A high fiber diet is also a great way to alleviate symptoms and prevent them from occurring.
- One of the most common home remedies for heartburn relief is by chewing on something that has apple cider vinegar as one of the ingredients. This is especially effective for people who have a hard time digesting their food. You can find this type of vinegar in any health stores. The good thing about this vinegar is that it contains acetic acid, which is known to be an antiseptic.
- Other natural heartburn remedies include lifestyle changes. If you are a smoker, then it is best for you to stop smoking because smoking is one of the main causes of heartburn. It irritates the stomach lining and causes stomach acid to go up into the esophagus. Another lifestyle change that you can make is to cut down on alcohol consumption. Alcohol increases the level of stomach acid in the body, thus causing heartburn and other digestive problems.
- Last but not least, a great way to eliminate heartburn pain is going vegetarian. Try a cooking class for vegan and vegetarian meals. You will discover that your symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux almost disappear.